In my post earlier this week, you may have noticed that there was a general theme of #Goals.
Not many people know, but since 2014, I spend some time on the 1st of January making a list of New Year’s Resolutions in the back of my latest journal, and I’ve gotten quite good at completing them.
Okay, finishing The End of Atlas has been on that list since I started this practice, but I didn’t say I was perfect.
Last year’s goals included:
- Get into a regular writing pattern.
- Read at least 12 books.
- Get MA offers.
- Get MA funding.
- Go on holiday.
And I’m happy to say I ticked all of these off. My writing pattern is now knocking out 1000 words in Starbucks on Sundays, and Grace the barista has taken to coming and asking how the novel’s going. I’ve read a considerable number of books, then switched to a 100 pages of research a week when my MA started, so I consider that a success. Lancaster and Birmingham both offered me a place for my MA, and after choosing Birmingham, I managed to get an MA scholarship from the College of Arts and Law. In August, a couple of friends and I went to Barcelona. It was the furthest away and hottest country I had ever been too, and while I can’t say my pasty-white-self was built for the weather, I had an amazing time.
Not everything worked out exactly how I had planned it, but 2017, all things considered, was a good year.
This year, I really want to focus on my writing, my career and getting Atlas off my resolution list once and for all. So, I thought I would take a leaf out of Jenna Moreci’s book and make a quarterly goals list. I normally update my resolutions list anyway, but this will mean I get into the habit of regularly reviewing it, and keep up the momentum throughout the year.
From January through to the end of March, these are the #Goals I will aim to achieve:
- Update Atlas with edits from Writeryjig Clubamabob (WC).
- Reach the 90k mark for Atlas.
- Redraw Atlas timeline.
- Write a blurb for Atlas.
- Celebrate 1 full year of WC.
- Write a blog post at least once a week.
- Redesign blog.
- Rebrand blog.
- Write 2 linguistic essay drafts before the Easter Holiday.
- Read all the required material for my classes.
- Try and read 1 extra article/chapter a week.
- Write MA dissertation proposal.
- Vet possible fanfiction profiles for MA dissertation data suitability.
- Talk to personal tutor about ethics for MA dissertation.
- Keep daily question journal up-to-date.
On top of this I’m going to set 5 private aims, that I’ll keep track of in my diary. At the end of March I’ll do a review, let you know how it went and what I want to do for the next quarter. ~Fingers crossed~ I’ll have a whole draft of The End of Atlas and an MA to show for my pains by the end of the year!