How to be Wicked Sick
Yup, I am currently ill, and thus am struggling to take this week’s Tip Tuesday seriously. However, what with me being Mort, and being something of a virtuoso in surviving illnesses, I thought I’d share some of my knowledge on how to be wicked sick in the hopes that it will help you lovely people cope with your illnesses too.
1. Nest – This is fairly essential to surviving any minor illness. You want it to me warm, snuggly, and all kinds of comfy. A bed is a good start, but sofas covered in blankets are also a viable option. You want your nest to be situated close to sustenance and to a bathroom, but don’t compromise comfort for either.
2. Stock up – While it is recommended that you be close to a constant supply of food and water, chances are you’re not going to want to leave your base of operations for anything other than peeing. With that in mind, you will want to pack your nest with plenty of snacks and drinkables. Optional: tissues, highly recommended if you have the snuffles.
3. Entertainment – There is nothing more important to recovering from a cold/ sore throat/ whatever the hell it is that’s making my glands swollen at the moment, than large quantities of entertainment sources. You should try to keep multiple entertainment mediums within arms reach of your nest. Laptops and TVs provide low level mental stimulation for when your brain is too foggy to function. Books and video games offer that little extra fun for when you’re awake enough that simply lying in your nest becomes boring. Avoid boredom as much as possible. Boredom means getting up and finding something to do, and that’s just going to make you feel ill.
4. Take your pills! – Whether they’re the basic painkiller and anti-inflammatory tablets we all know and love, or prescribed antibiotics, make sure you’re taking your medication correctly and consistently. Even taking paracetamol regularly can keep a temperature in check. However, make sure you’re taking the right dosage, and don’t go over the daily limit!
5. Do something (a bit) stupid – This is a personal favourite. I’m a big fan of wearing cat ears, or creating a beard out of my own hair. Just something to make me smile every time I look in the mirror. It keeps me positive, and makes me feel like I’m better, even when I’m not.
And that’s your lot, because I feel like I’m dying and my cocoon of warmth is calling to me. It’s singing the song of my people, and that song is Lullaby, by Mandah.
Hope all you wicked sick peeps get better soon!